Danish Pastry Guide: What Is a Kringle?
Saturday, June 15, 2019 by Eric Olesen - 3rd generation owner
When you visit Racine, don’t be surprised if one of the first questions you hear is, “Have you tried a Kringle yet?” For generations, Kringles have been popular in this area thanks to the Danish bakers that settled here in the 1800’s. Today, Kringles are the Official State Pastry of Wisconsin.
So, what is a Kringle? Strictly speaking, it’s a Danish pastry made with a buttery dough and lots of layers, making it light and flaky. The inside is filled with various fillings such as fruits and nuts before the Kringle is baked golden-brown and then drizzled with icing. Popular filling possibilities include almond, pecan, cherry, raspberry, apple, strawberry, and cream cheese. But like anyone with a passion, a good Danish Kringle bakery will often get creative with seasonal fillings such as pumpkin, cranberry, turtle, and key lime.
Baking a Kringle is a time and labor intensive process. According to the Danish pastry origin, the best method involves repeatedly folding butter and flour together to form a dough that will result in a delicate, flaky texture when baked. Their efforts are not for naught - this traditional Danish pastry has gained a huge global following, been featured on many cooking and talk shows, and even declared “delicious” by President Barack Obama during his visit to O&H Danish Bakery in 2010.
O&H Danish Bakery: Your Guide to Kringles
At O&H Danish Bakery, we are extremely proud of our family heritage and the way we have preserved the traditions of our parents and grandparents when it comes to operating a business that treats its customers and employees with respect and produces quality baked goods that taste homemade - because they are homemade. We offer many different Danish Kringle types, including:
- Everyday Kringle Favorites. Our family has been making traditional Kringles for more than 65 years. Each Kringle pastry takes three days to prepare and features 36 layers of flaky, flavorful goodness. We use the finest ingredients and scratch-made fillings to bring you our award-winning pastries.
- Seasonal Kringle Flavors. We love letting nature determine the best fillings for us to use, so we defer to the calendar to create the freshest seasonal flavors. From the excitement of fall to the coziness of winter, from the newness of spring to the sweetness of summer, we choose the “just right” ingredients all year long.
- Explorer’s Series. We travel back to the Danish pastry origin to be inspired by the unique flavors and local customs. In this series, we share some of what we have learned with you - always with a Danish flair.
- Gift Packages. If one Kringle pastry makes a great gift, then several are even better. Our expertly made gifts will help you make the right impression. From our Kringle of the Month option to The Grand Trio to The Three Kringleteers, not to mention our Gokstad premium coffee gifts, we have something for everyone on your list.
- Other Danish pastries. Although our Kringles are our most popular items, we also offer a range of other choices, including Danish coffee cakes, Danish layer cakes, Danish crown cakes, bread puddings, and more.
- Special dietary needs. We can also cater to special dietary needs with special items including gluten-free cookies, cakes and pastries as well as sweet rolls and coffee cakes with no added sugar or salt.
Danish Kringles from O&H Danish Bakery
If you’ve spent much time in Wisconsin, you are probably aware of how ubiquitous Kringles are on grocery store shelves. These tempting pastries make easy and delicious breakfasts, desserts, and snacks at any time of day. You might wonder why you would buy your Kringle from an authentic Danish bakery instead of picking it up along with your weekly supermarket haul - and we have the answer.
At O&H Danish Bakery, Kringles are our specialty, our livelihood, and our family tradition. We never cut corners; just traditional Danish delicacies made one at a time with the same methods that have been passed down through our family for generations. Patience is truly a virtue when you are working with Kringle.
We start with a buttery, homemade dough that is slightly sweet and very tender. Then, we carefully add layers of butter between each layer of dough until it is incredibly thin. Once that delicate process is complete, we fill it with delicious fillings such as local fruit or Grade A fancy nuts, hand-shape it into our signature oval, and brush it with an egg wash to help it bake golden-brown. A little of icing on top is the perfect finish. Just as our predecessors made Kringles in their Danish kitchens, so we make each pastry in our kitchen today.
The O&H Difference
Everything we do begins and ends with family. Anytime you contact us, whether you call us on the phone, send us an email, or walk into one of our stores; you’ll be greeted with the same care and personal attention we would give our family members. Expect warm smiles and helpful people - that’s just our way.
Not only do we believe in treating people well, but we also believe in producing the highest-quality baked goods we possibly can. You’ll taste the homemade difference in every bite of one of our delicious pastries. We are confident that you’ll fall in love with our Kringles from the first mouthful - but if you are not satisfied for any reason, let us know, and we’ll make it right. We still believe that the customer comes first, and we still do business this way, years after our parents taught us that it was the right way to run our bakeries.
Finally, where would we be without the community around us. We believe in the importance of supporting our community and we are proud to be from Racine, a lovely town that has taught us the true importance of being part of a team. From donating to local food shelters to using solar power at our stores to supporting various local organizations, we make it a priority to give back every chance we get.
If you haven’t tried a traditional Danish pastry from O&H Danish Bakery, do yourself a favor and stop by or place an order today. We’re confident you’ll quickly have a new favorite treat to share with family and friends.